Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:35:46 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>Chris, They interviewed someone from the Seattle PD in the radio
>yesterday. 100's and 100's of recovered bikes in storage. Many go to
>groups to restore and scavenge parts. You might check it out.

     I'm still catching up on emails from the disruption of the WiFi at the
coffee shop that I used to go to.  Quite a lot to catch up on as well as read
recent ones.

     We have the same thing with bike thieves going on here.  The Tempe PD
recently rounded up a fellow who was stealing bikes, repainting them, then
selling them on Craigslist.  There are undoubtedly more like him, and the ASU
campus police now have bait bikes around campus.  I'm told that there are bike
thieves who steal bikes here and in Tucson, then ship them off to Albuqueque,
Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, and elsewhere.  And the same in reverse.  And
there's similar activity with power tools.

     Last year a couple of bike thieves jumped on a pair of expensive racing
bikes at a Tour de Tempe festival and rode them off quickly through the crowd.
There are photos of them but they have yet to be apprehended, so they may be
from elsewhere.  In the summer when I go cycling in the early morning hours I
carry a weapon.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson