Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First attempt at sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - First attempt at sunset
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:34:37 -0500
> I'd like to try and get some lightning shots at some point, if I can figure
> out how to do it without getting killed.

Don't wear your wire-suit.

But what is quite interesting about these hyper-discharged towers is
that the lightning won't strike the tower at all, but usually the
ground somewhere near the base. The rule of thumb is that if the tower
can drain static fast enough it remains electrically invisible.

You'll see those towers do weird things. Not only do you get halos and
other things, but it will sound like a freshly poured soda pop with
the fizzing.

Back in the '90s, I inserted myself into a joint study by a consortium
of tower, antenna and transmitter manufacturers. I learned more about
lightning than I think I really wanted to know. But on a positive
note, I grew up terrified of lightning and never slept through a storm
until my mid-thirties.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx