Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bikes, (was: (OM) Computers)
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 16:11:56 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>       The rear hub turned out to be unusable, but I salvaged everything
> except the body and cones.  I found
>an identical hub as well as three matching front hubs at a cooperative bike
>repair shop in Tucson.  When I
>removed the tyre and inner tube from the rear wheel I found three layers of
>rim strips.  The first was most
>of a cloth one with yellow electrical tape filling the gap.  The other two
>were fibreglass reinforced
>packaging tape.  Reason for all that was that the spokes were 2mm too long and
>were poking out beyond the
>nipples.  It will be fully restored either today or tomorrow, depending on the
>arrival of a set of proper
>length spokes for the rear wheel.  I'll add a photo of the finished project
>when it's all done.

     The spokes did arrive this morning, and by noon I had the rear wheel built
and trued, then rode it up and down the street a few times to tweek everything.
 Here's what it looked like when I brought it home a few weeks ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/12815571784/

and here's what it looks like now after a thorough refit and cleaning:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/13276012964/

     All that's left now is to refurbish the red and black paint of the head
badge, then do a little detailed cleaning here and there.

Chris the Moto(bécane)maniac