Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:08:40 -0500
> Several months ago, I picked up a history textbook "Westward
> Expansion" by Ray Allen Billington. It's a pretty tough slog in
> places, and I can tell that it's written from a slightly
> northern-centric perspective, but it's very good. It certainly puts an
> interesting light on the good, bad and ugly of this country's history.

Oh, and mine is a 1967 edition (fourth printing, 1969), so it's
squarely still in the Christian-centric culture of the country. So,
it's even more staggering to see how nasty things were in our past
than the "we just need the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools and all
will be good again" crowd could imagine. Today's textbooks are very
polarized in their presentation--either anti-Christian or
pro-Christian and tend to leave out whole sections of history that
contradict their point of view. This one is pretty much "this is the
way things was--like it or not."

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx