Re: [OM] Print house recommendation?

Subject: Re: [OM] Print house recommendation?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 07:27:43 -0400
I used to use Miller's Lab when I was riding on my photo mentor's
account there.  But, after moving away from Boston and back to New York
I never tried to establish my own Miller's account since Miller's
assumes you are a pro and makes it clear that they expect a certain
minimum number or prints.  It probably doesn't really make any
difference but I didn't like the paperwork that I'd have to fill out to
establish an account.

But there is a much easier path to Miller's print quality at decent, low
volume prices and that's to use <http://www.mpix.com/>  Mpix is owned by
Miller's and uses all of the same processes and equipment and
establishing an account it very easy.  The only real difference with
using Mpix rather than Miller's is that you don't have the full paper
and print size selection that you get from Miller's.  You can't get a
print larger than 24x36 but I haven't found that to be any real
limitation.  I like their 10x20 for panos but you can also get 5x30.

The last print I bought from Mpix is a beautiful 16x20 landscape shot on
a stormy Florida beach.  It's printed on canvas and mounted on matte
board.  Don't forget the matte board.  I think that's the way to go as
it's very easy to handle and you can hang it with or without a frame.

Check here for papers, sizes and mounting.
<http://www.mpix.com/products/prints>

Actually, what I like best about Mpix is that I can choose "Don't color
correct".  That way they don't diddle with the image or attempt to
resharpen it and I get a print that looks exactly like what I see on the
screen (at 25% to evaluate sharpening).  I will also choose that if I'm
making a bunch of 4x6 prints. Without color correction they're only 19
cents each.

They also still do film and scan it for you but the scans are not useful
at sizes larger than 5x7.

Chuck Norcutt