Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] In case you hadn't heard....
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 22:12:54 +0000
   Chris Barker wrote:
<I'll try and think of a better word, Andrew, but "guessword" encapsulates my ge
neral scepticism towards science at the moment.  It's one reason that I won't ac
cept GM as a way to produce foodstuffs.>
As a retired applied scientist, I have to support Andrew in this argument.  Big
bang theory seems a valid attempt to explain what happened although it cannot ex
plain the ultimate 'why'. And no one to my knowledge has produced any weighty ar
guments against GM foods in principle, however much one may regret some particul
ar versions, and none of Chris' aeroplanes would have flown without pretty valid
 forms of aeronautical science.  My pet gripe at the moment is the way that the
'green' lobby's activities over recent years against first nuclear power and, no
w in Europe, fracking have potentially crippled the western response to events i
n the Ukraine.  Energy independence from Russia for Europe would be more immedia
tely useful than the latest Typhoons and F16s.

Returning to the original argument, having been brought up in NE England and sub
sequently worked in Denmark for a while, I have always been interested in the wa
y Tyneside slang and accents can resemble Danish words.
Brian Gray