[OM] Handson with an E-M1

Subject: [OM] Handson with an E-M1
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:46:18 -0500
Of the few people who showed up for my concert last night, one was a local
photographer carrying an E-M1 with the u43 75mm.  I introduced myself,
showed him my Oly Club Card (my e-M5 with the dz 14-54) and we started
talking cameras.  He let me play with the E-M1 for a bit - like the changes
in ergonomics.  He had been shooting with an E-5, I mentioned my E-1.  He
asked how the 14-54 focused and I said reasonably slow, then he mentioned
that they were supposed to be better on the E-M1.

So, naturally, I took the opportunity to ask if we could swap lenses real
quick so I could see how it worked on the E-M1.

Very nicely is the answer.  Quick, snappy focus.  And the EVF is nicer than
the E-M5.  Not night-and-day, but nicer.

As long as Olympus keeps running with the u43 line, there might be an
upgrade or a second body in my future next year.

He also gave me his card and invited me to go on a photo walk with him
sometime.  Nice enough guy, and we can try different lenses.  He'd heard of
my 20/1.7, but hadn't seen one.  He was considering the PanaLeica, but
then, he's a pro so he can justify a bag full of pricey glass.  One thing
we both agreed on - we want the 40-150/2.8.

He has an assistant who helps shoot from time to time, who also uses an
E-M1.  He got it with the lesser kit lens, so I showed him the 12-50 and he
asked what I thought.  I gave it a good recommendation, told him about the
weather seals and the macro, and that caught his attention.  He's going to
grab one for his assistant.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie