Re: [OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer

Subject: Re: [OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 21:34:25 -0400
I'm sure there are many ways to add a black border like this with
different pieces of software but, if using PhotoShop (and probably PS
Elements and Lightroom as well) I would do it by using the "canvas size"
option.  For example, if the image was already sized for a print of
16x20" and you desired to add a 1/4" black border all the way around you
would resize the canvas to 16.5x20.5".  Select the canvas color as black
and the resizing to be done from the center and you'll get a 1/4" black
border all around.  If you then wanted to add a 2" white "matte"
surround do the same thing by specifying the size as 20.5"x24.5" with a
white canvas color.

I don't recall if using the canvas size option allows you to choose
other than black or white for the canvas color (but suspect that it
does).  I'm sending this on my wife's new laptop which does not have any
image processing software installed at the moment so can't check it.
I tried to install FastStone on it today but it would not install for
some reason.  I suspect an odd permissions problem since install
couldn't write any file but need to check into that.

Chuck Norcutt