Re: [OM] Attn: Moose

Subject: Re: [OM] Attn: Moose
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 02:50:38 -0700
On 3/29/2014 6:11 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Interesting post.  Which ones do you use yourself and why?

It's a story of mixed obsessions. I acquired the E-PL1 in a kit with the 14-150
lens, to get both that lens and a very
cheap back-up for the E-M5. Other than a couple of trips to public gardens to
learn the camera, back-up is what I used
it for, at a botanic garden in Maine while Bob tried out the E-M5 and for
stills while the E-M5 was doing video of
friends' band. 341 shots.

I'm not sure just why I then bought an E-PL2. It's a lot prettier, has a better
button layout and slightly larger screen
with more pixels. I guess I liked it better, 695 shots.

I was starting to see the Pens as more than back-up cameras, as smaller,
lighter cameras for more casual use. I've
always been working the edge between size/weight/focal range and IQ, using
compact cameras for carry everywhere use.

With the E-PL3 and E-PM1, the flash went away and they became noticeably
smaller and lighter. But there were trade-offs,
the PM1 smaller, but with limited controls, the PL3 with more controls and tilt
screen. I loved the best features of
both. The PM1 was really a great size, but one function key short of what I
wanted, MF on one and focus magnification on
another. OTOH, the mode dial of the PL3 is too easily moved in handling in and
out of pockets and bags. In the end, the
PL3 was the winner, 351 shots to 93.

Then came the E-PM2 - E-M5 sensor system in the smallest body, with another
function button. I guess you could say I
finally found the right combo. There are 4,414 shots on its clock at the moment.

The E-PM2 opened me up to the use of two cameras at once, when really out
shooting, PM2 and 12-50, M5 and 76-300, which
I have done extensively. Needing so few lens changes to cover almost everything
is wonderful in the field.

You could say it was a journey in search of a camera that didn't exist at the
start, but did eventually.

Now things are in flux again, with Pannys in the house. They have those
electronic shutters and the GM1 with 12-32 makes
the E-PM2 with Panny 14-42 X lens seem huge. I don't know how things will
settle out in the upcoming travel and shooting
season.

I do know the G11 and S100 have been mostly idled, first by E-PM2 and now GM1.

It's The Journey, Not Moose