Re: [OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer

Subject: Re: [OM] The philosophy and practice of another landscape photographer
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 07:42:01 +1300

Mike L wrote;

However, more specifically, I notice that somehow he
has added a darker hue to a rectangular zone around the margin of this
print.

////////////////////////

I just checked. FastStone, Brian's
choice, has the ability to do a vast range of borders and border
effects. Thin black
surrounded by thick white is a snap.
It is indeed a
snap Brian. I use it to add a thin border to my wife's artwork prints.
It gives the impression of a matte bevel at no cost so she can sell at a
price people will pay. Add a clip frame and it looks pretty professional
at a budget price. It may work for your prints as well.

Mouse
left>>Border effects Experiment. You will have to print a trial to see
what it will look like.

Mike

////////////////

Perhaps i should
have explained more clearly.

The purchased print, which I photographed
in its entirety, is mounted on a black matte foam board. I doubt that
any local gallery would sell a naked print, unmatted.

Chris Barker has
understood what I was referring to. See the print again here.

You can even see
parts of the random background against which I propped the print for
being photographed. Even this naked print (not behind glass) gave me
problems with reflections / shadows, so I had to move around quite a lot
to get a satisfactory quick snapshot. I deliberately did not crop out
the fragments of background, so that the full extent of the black mat
could be seen.

Brian