Re: [OM] OT tablet question

Subject: Re: [OM] OT tablet question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2014 17:56:41 -0400
I think I'd follow Ken's advice here.  If you want Amazon books you can
get a reader for the device you have.  My wife has the original
paperwhite screen) Kindle which is all she needs as she only uses it to
read books with no color info. The simple paperwhite screen is excellent
for that.  I bought the original Kindle Fire which is a less useful book
reader due to the lower resolution color screen and not much of a
computer.  It fell into disuse very quickly and I replaced it with a
Google Nexus 7 (Android).  A far better small tablet than the original
Kindle Fire but still not much of a general purpose computer.  The color
is fairly good and the screen fairly sharp but you just can't get a
whole lot of info on a 7" screen.  As far as I'm concerned the lot of
them has a major downfall which is no external storage device... you
can't just plug in an SD card and move images or documents back and
forth... you have to go through Google's cloud or Apple's cloud if you
want to move data.  Well, maybe two wi-fi devices can talk directly to
each other without going to the cloud but that shouldn't be necessary.
For another 50 cents it could have an SDHC socket but some of the
sellers don't want us to have that as it helps us avoid their
super-expensive (but still limited) memory configs.

Check and compare Ken's suggestions... the iPad or the biggest/baddest
Samsung.  The Samsung is probably cheaper and the only one to give you
external storage in the form of a microSD slot.  The iPad is a well
known quantity and probably not much of a gamble... provided you don't
mind selling your soul to the company store... not that Google won't
also try to hold you captive.

<http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/galaxy-tab/SM-T520NZWAXAR?cid=ppc->

<https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/>

Chuck Norcutt