Re: [OM] Chris's E-510, was: Now THIS is news!

Subject: Re: [OM] Chris's E-510, was: Now THIS is news!
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 17:41:10 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>> Now I have a question that reverts back to the E-510 that I'm now
>> getting familiar with.  When you choose "live view", does this raise
>> the mirror and reduce the major source of vibration when releasing
>> the shutter?
>

>I think your question got lost in the excitement over EFC.  I don't have
>an E-510 so can't really answer your question.  Certainly, live view
>must raise the mirror to expose the sensor to feed an image to the
>screen.  However, I don't know what it does when you press the shutter
>button.  Since there is no EFC on the E-510 it must at least close the
>shutter and re-open it for the exposure.  Whether it also drops and
>re-opens the mirror is something I can't answer.  But you should be able
>to answer your own question by just removing the lens, going into live
>view and then pressing the shutter while you watch the activity of the
>mirror (assuming it will allow live view with the lens removed).

     Duh!  I should have thought of that myself.  Yes, choosing live view does
raise the mirror, making the E-510 a better choice for field work than the
E-500 since that takes care of a vibration problem.  I'm going to build up the
courage to remove the body back and repair the missing connection for the wired
remote.  That, after all, was the feature that made me buy this in the first
place.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson