Re: [OM] Youth Fine Arts Competition and Concert

Subject: Re: [OM] Youth Fine Arts Competition and Concert
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 21:06:45 -0500
I did a mixer board mix this morning when they did the song during the
regular church service. The one daughter was coming down with the flu,
so her voice is a bit weak, but this will give you an idea of the song
they performed. The judges did comment on their voices needing to be a
bit more bold, so that's something they are working on, but the
musicianship is pretty solid. The instrumentation is strictly keyboard
and bass.

The song is a "mash-up" of "Worn" by Tenth Avenue North and "Oceans"
by Hillsong. I believe that they did the only true mash-up this year
in competition. There were several medleys, and other things, but this
one definitely got attention because it was such a seamless
integration of two songs.

At the bottom of this page is the MP3 player of this morning's board
mix. After the girls get over this flu, we'll do a recording in the
home studio.

http://lifechurchcreston.com/live-from-red-culture-conference/

(Caution, may contain religion lyrics that could offend the easily
offended--you have been warned).

Ken

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nice work!
>
> Jim Nichols
> Tullahoma, TN USA
>
> On 4/5/2014 9:56 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
>> Through our church organization, we have state and national level
>> competitions every year. My daughters participated in the "Christian
>> Band" division this year and got to perform on the main stage.
>>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=12122
>>
>> The funny aspect to this is that my one daughter is now kinda a
>> hero... "Hey! You're the girl who plays the bass guitar!" They came in
>> one point away from top rating. Not bad for their first competition.
>> (the judging was pretty tough, but accurate).
>>
>> The photo is converted from the RAW file to better tame the LED
>> lighting. LED lighting is a mess with digital sensors, and the only
>> way to keep things under control is shoot RAW.
>>
>> The second image is a straight out of camera, using the JPG file. I
>> zoomed from wide to tele during the exposure.
>>
>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=12125
>>
>> Both images taken with the PanaLeica DMC-L1
>>
>> Yes, we're VERY proud of our daughters. They nailed it very well and
>> proved that you don't need no steenkin drums or geeetars to smoke a
>> sound system.
>>

> --

Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx