Re: [OM] [OT] Scotland Itinerary

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Scotland Itinerary
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 10:26:22 -0500
On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mike Lazzari [1]<watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> said
> snip
> My wife has been wanting to go to Scotland for years and she is our Tour
> Director and has booked all the necessary stuff.
>
>   Fly into Glasgow Thurs and head directly by train from airport to
> Edinburgh for a few days then:
>
> Birnam
> Cairngorms/Grampians ??
> Orkney
> Lairg/Cape Wrath ??
> Ullapool
> Lewis/Harris
> Skye
> Applecross Penn
> Glencoe
> Trossachs  ??
>
> Main focus is walking and outdoors. We are looking for suggestions
> especially where noted by ??
> Don't know how this fits with the list local(s)? Any reside in above
> areas? Will be checking email when possible.
>
> It is many years since I have been walking in Scotland but at this time of
> year
> I would expect you to need good weatherproof clothing if you do not wish
> activit
> ies to be curtailed by wind and rain (and including snow in the north).
> Ardnam
> urchan peninsular is of particular interest to geologists but can be bleak
> at an
> y time of year, while I was always impressed by the Commando Memorial near
> Fort
> William.

When we were there back in '91, we also took a short trip over to Arran,
which was very nice.  Also, as big fans of Louis Tiffany's stained glass,
we knew that Andrew Carnegie had commissioned a window for the Abbey there
in memoriam to his family, all of which had emigrated from Dunfermline.
So, we took a short train ride and walked to where it should have been
(which, in Dunfermline, is uphill for miles every direction you walk).  We
finally located it.

Little history on the window:
http://si-siris.blogspot.com/2012/03/saga-of-andrew-carnegies-tiffany.html
--