Re: [OM] Scotland itinerary

Subject: Re: [OM] Scotland itinerary
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 19:24:45 +0100
It's not that news travels slowly, Mike, it's that we never forget. Glencoe
... Campbells ... Yes, to this day the role of the Clan Campbell in the
Glencoe massacre is very well remembered.

Ardnamurchan from Glencoe, mmm, assuming you go via Fort William you could
easily do Ardnamurchan lighthouse (the furthest point) and back in a day -
but it would be a very long day if you wanted to stop someplace. Maybe you
should plan on heading for say, Strontian, about 2 hours from Glencoe, then
seeing how things go time-wise.

Dammit, I have just this afternoon learned that I need to be in London from
25th to 3 May, so it sounds like I am going to miss you completely, how can
that be!?

Need any hints for side trips? Need any maps? For sure if heading for Lairg
from Inverness, after you have crossed the Cromarty bridge on the A9 take
the B9176. It is classified as a secondary road, but was once the A836, so
is a very adequate road, and cuts out a long flat detour through Tain by
going "over the top". As you reach the Dornoch Firth there are spectacular
views out over Sutherland.  Also, about 2/3 way along the road, close to
Loch Sheilah, there are the clearest visible remains of glacial meltwater
channels (if you are into glaciology). Further on, if you have time, a
diversion southwest from Ardgay (pron "ard guy") to Croick will take you to
a chapel all but deserted since the Highland clearances, where the local
tenants were corralled before being shipped out to USA. They camped in the
churchyard, and scratched their names in the window glass - still visible
today. They could have taken shelter inside, but refused, as it would have
been ungodly.

Beyond Ardgay I recommend the small road along the south side of the River
Oykel. There is little to see in and around Lairg - unless desolation is
desired. From Ardgay you can go direct to Ledmore Junction, and then you are
into the geologically gripping northwest.

I wouldn't bother with Cape Wrath unless you have a bucket list. If you have
time for Cape Wrath, better to spend it walking to Sandwood Bay, just south
of the Cape. It's a very easy walk (maybe 4 mi) from Balchrick, close to
Kinlochbervie.

Some wonderful smaller beaches further south on the same NW coastline, near
Lochinver. Achmelvich and Clachtoll come to mind.

I had better stop now, or else I will keep on going!

Best

Piers