Re: [OM] At the Museums

Subject: Re: [OM] At the Museums
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2014 07:37:12 -0400
Ayuh. My rule is always shoot in the highest color space, and process in the
biggest bucket, which would be ProPhoto. You can always go down. You can’t go
up. Monitors are getting better and better. So are printers and papers. If you
shoot in sRGB, you won’t be able to take advantage of better monitors and
printers. If you shoot aRGB and process in ProPhoto, you will. I just recabled
my monitor after installing a new OS, and one of the byproducts is increased
color gamut on the monitor.

In fact, color rendition has improved considerably in the past few years. When
I go to the printer, I seldom encounter out-of-gamut colors. If I do, then I
have the choice of printing an actual proof to see if the software is telling
the truth (which at times is is not), or adjusting the file so that all colors
are in gamut, or both. As for the lab that prints my canvas and metal, they now
take jpeg _and_ tiff, and sRGB and aRGB. Some labs still take only jpegs and
sRGB.

--Bob Whitmire
Certified Neanderthal