Re: [OM] [OT] Scotland itinerary

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Scotland itinerary
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2014 17:26:02 +0100
   Hi
   I do not know what it is like now but I remember standing on the
   quayside aty Kinlochbervie in about 1965 and being amazed at how clear
   the water was.  You could clearly see the sides of the fishing boats
   both above and below the surface of the water.
   Again, you are passing through Thurso and I remember arriving one
   August day when the beach (but not the cold sea!) was packed with
   people, and about 12 hours later when we came out of work nearby we had
   to scrape ice off the car windscreens.   Piers can comment better, but
   I believe the seas between Thurso and Orkney are particularly rough
   with strong currents - I have never been further north of Thurso than
   John o Groats (on a bicycle!).
   Another point where Bob Whitmire and Piers Hemry may comment on current
   practice - in the days when my wife and I toured Scotland staying in
   B&Bs we soon realised that B&B usually included a substantial supper as
   part of the deal.
   Brian Gray