Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Need an opinion. Or two.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Need an opinion. Or two.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:30:30 -0700
On 4/10/2014 7:09 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 6:21 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Definitely color and definitely shot #1 (leaning back) for the pose.
>> But what in the world happened to the color balance of #1 vs #2?  I find
>> shot #1 uncomfortably red.
>>
>> Chuck Norcutt
>>

>> On 4/10/2014 12:21 AM, Paul Braun wrote:
>>> http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=2909

As a snap of a friend, sure. As a portrait to be viewed by someone like me, who
doesn't know him or the context, it's a
throw away. Just my opinion.

> Not 100% sure.  Both were developed with WB "as shot".  The leaning back
> one was with the 14-54, the other one was with the u43 Panny 20/1.7.
>
> I re-did the temp really quick this morning before I left for work and
> posted a new one, but I went too far, I think.
>
> The odd thing is that the color of his scrubs in the one you think is too
> red is pretty much spot-on to reality.  Being Syrian, his skin is a bit
> darker anyway.  When I get home and I'm not quite so rushed, I'll try to
> find a good balance between the two.

As you are given to shooting people in odd, mixed light, you might gain a lot
of benefit from a white balance reference.

I carry one of these around in my wallet, like a credit card.
<http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html>

I don't remember to use it as often as perhaps I should, but it is invaluable
in troublesome lighting. When taking pics
of your famous friends, they need not even know. When they walk away, just hold
the WhiBal out at arms length in the
light they were in, and take a shot. Process that one first, use the WB
dropper, and use the same settings for the rest.

When shooting in a museum recently with the same lighting throughout, one shot
of the WhiBal balanced over 200 shots.

You'd both save a lot of time, first second guessing yourself, then responding
to us - and you'd get better results.

I've bent a paperclip to go through the little holes and hold it up when
sitting on a horizontal surface. I keep mine in
a little sleeve in the wallet with the paperclip stand.

  W.B. Moose