Re: [OM] IMG: Jackfruit Flower

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Jackfruit Flower
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 07:49:27 +1000
Astonishing aren't they? I hadn't seen the flower before. Gorgeous. Not the
satinkiest flower of course - that belongs to the corpse flower of the jungles
in the same region - attracts flies for pollination so the enormous bloom
smells like rotting meat.
Durian and Jackfruit are among the few fruits that can kill you traumatically
(don't stand underneath) or get you thrown out of polite company - perhaps
that's why I love it. 'Smells like s**t and tastes like heaven' is the usual
description. My local Vietnamese restaurant does a great Durian smoothie but
they're shut for renovation right now for 2 months and I miss it badly. I'm not
allowed to have one if I'm there with my wife - unless I take it outside and
sit with the smokers. It actually changes taste as it crosses the tongue from
ugly at the front to wonderful at the back. A great mystery - non-believers
just don't understand, in the same way that I can' t understand Vegemite - or
Macdonalds for that matter.
Jackfruit isn't nearly as bad but Durian is banned from tourist hotels because
the daft foreigners think the toilets are blocked if they smell it.
Surprisingly, many of the scents and even commercial perfumes that we find most
appealing have a 'fecal' component below the threshold of identification - it
gives them depth, apparently.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com