Re: [OM] IMG: Rice Paper

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rice Paper
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 18:16:58 -0400
Yes, I understand and appreciate your opinion, but sometimes I just like
one and this is one I like.  I'm sure there are lots and lots of my
Honduras photos that would be the same.  There is a reason I like them.
 Sometimes others see why and sometimes they don't.  If I didn't sometimes
include one that speaks only to me, I'd have to give up photography.

Thanks,

Tina

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/20/2014 2:28 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > Shooting fast in changing conditions.  I like shallow depth of field and
> > usually shoot wide open.
>
> Yes, I know. One price is shots that miss. Work fine for many folks. For
> me, that's a dumpster shot, I would never be
> happy viewing it.
>
> > Which do you like better?  The one with lots of depth of field or the
> > shallow one:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/155307907
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/155307962
>
> Not at all a good comparison. Closer focus brings shallower DOF. The
> background would not be nearly as much in focus in
> the first situation at f5.6.
>
> And ... I'm not at all averse to blurring my own backgrounds in post. :-)
>
> > I guess it's a matter of taste, but I'll take sharp fingernails and less
> > sharp nose over sharp everything any day.
> >
> > I like Rangefinders shot wide open.  That's just me.
>
> Yup, I understand, it's worth the risk for those that pay off. Had you
> nailed the face, I'd love the shot. As it is, I'd
> just flip past it in a web gallery, walk past it in a print gallery. (BTW,
> it can probably be corrected for focus for at
> least web and book sized reproduction.)
>
> I don't know the balance between folks with my tastes and those with
> yours, but it's something to consider if you get
> into books or prints.
>
> I probably should have put it differently, but as I gaze at the many
> images you post, I'm interested in the differences,
> for my taste, between the many really wonderful images and the blah or
> just missed it images. So sometimes I comment on
> why some just don't work for me.
>
> I always hope it may be helpful.
>
> Moose D'Opinion
>
> --