Re: [OM] More Red [was 2014 Orchid Show]

Subject: Re: [OM] More Red [was 2014 Orchid Show]
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 07:31:30 +0100
Thanks for this opportunity to compare, Moose: colour spaces and browsers.
On 20 Apr 2014, at 22:00, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As it happens, I had taken a shot of a red-orange poppy the day before Joel's
> orchid show post.
>
> I'm addressing here ONLY the question of browser rendition of various color
> spaces. I saved images of two versions of
> the flower, ACR defaults and post processed for big, bright reds.
>
> Saved as JPEGs with embedded color spaces ProPhoto, aRGB and sRGB.
> <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/BrowserColorSpaces/Tulip.htm>
>
> Looking at them in FireFox, IE, Chrome, Opera* and Safari. Of those, the only
> one in which I could clearly see changes
> is IE. I could almost convince myself I saw other differences, but if so,
> extremely subtle, and probably not there at all.

I refuse to use IE (it’s not available for the Mac, anyway :-)), but I agree
about the lack of change in Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari.

> IE shows a distinct change in lower middle tones and shadows between ProPhoto
> and aRGB, but none between aRGB and sRGB.

Strange that IE should show a difference.  MS has for years made up its own
standards on the web.

> My conclusion is that all you may have read or have found to be true in the
> past about differences in rendering between
> sRGB and aRGB in mainstream browsers on Windoze is not now true.
>
> My practice of posting my images in aRGB makes no difference in how they are
> rendered in current versions of these four
> browsers.

This may be so, but I shall revert to using aRGB for my working in colour.

> This becomes significant in my next post about red channels.
>
> "Red" Moose
>
> * Opera gets the booby prize for hubris. Like Safari used to do, it assumes
> it is the only browser anyone might want,
> pins itself to the task bar, puts a shortcut on the desktop and makes itself
> the default browser. Safari is now well
> behaves in installation.

It didn’t do that on the Mac, Moose.  That behaviour must be part of the
Winders culture.

Chris