Re: [OM] OT: Weather

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 11:22:50 -0500
>      This weekend may be quite different.  The GFS charts show that a late
> season teardrop low will beging forming on Friday, while two other low
> pressure systems will be affecting New England and the northern plains.  This
> system will form rapidly into a tight storm off the southern California coast
> and will make landfall late Friday night into Saturday.  The centre of the
> low will pass over central Arizona on Sunday and into New Mexico on Monday.

Great Lakes region is going to get blasted Thursday/Friday. Looks like
it will be a lousy day to be on the water. The low pressure system
from the pacnw will fizzle but get absorbed by the low pressure
forming over New Mexico. That one is going to get fueled by gulf
moisture with plenty of uplift, so we'll be looking at some good
tornado weather when that rolls through our neck of the woods.

>      This storm system is not typical for this time of year, instead being
> something we would normally see in the January to March timeframe.  But, the
> PDO that affected winter weather across North America kept that from
> occurring earlier.

How is the Sierra Nevada doing? Is it finally getting some needed moisture?

>      There may be serious weather for the southern plains and midwest
> beginning late Sunday when this system presses against a strong ridge of high
> pressure that will develop over the Mississippi Valley over the weekend.

I'm not seeing how that one is going to come together yet. The
Thursday/Friday low is the one that has me concerned where I'm at.
However, if we get a hard frontal boundary form, once it hits the
dry-line, the radar is going to light up like a Christmas tree.

>      In addition, a serious late season nor'easter will develop over New
> England starting late Thursday.  It will prevail over the region until at
> least Monday.  Expect to see snow.  I cannot tell at this time if the low
> pressure system affecting the southwest this weekend will manifest itself
> into an additional nor'easter late next week.

The Thursday low over the Great Lakes is shaping up to be pretty wild.
Any time you get the New Mexico and pacnw lows combining just west of
the Great Lakes, stuff gets nasty with surface winds approaching
triple digits out over the water and humungous waves.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx