Re: [OM] OT: Bumper Snickers

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Bumper Snickers
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:05:29 -0400
Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maine used to make a lot of shoes. ...

> On Apr 21, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Taking photographers into factories when the British still made shoes.

I lived for a while in an area where lots are now made.

" Today, it is ... a major center for light industry. Nike has a
factory there, and a Taiwanese firm that makes shoes for Adidas,
Reebok and others has four. All are large factories, with several
thousand employees each.
>From https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Fuzhou

No wonder neither the UK nor the US can compete, given Chinese wages.
2000 rmb (about $350) a month is good money for a factory worker and a
new graduate engineer I knew was very happy with an offer of 3000.
Even so, a friend who did health & safety stuff at the Adidas et al.
factory in Fuzhou was sent to Vietnam to help set up a factory there;
apparently they have even lower wages.