Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .

Subject: Re: [OM] Just for a moment . . .
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 09:26:41 +1000
What a remarkably funny idea!
And anyway, are people who are intereste din photography 'normal'.
Perhaps it's best that this thread morphed almost immediately into
Lycrasilliness.

But I did think that the Hummer comparison was way off the mark.
Leica does belong in a different class of aspirational product.
To the point where Leica users have been known to conceal the red spot with
tape (you can buy a black logo to cover it for the M and the Monochrom doesn't
have one).
To be sure, many are bought by dentists and lawyers, as ostentatious
consumption. But they usually have an interest in photography.
The marque is associated with taste - as is say a Mont Blanc pen or decent but
understated dress watch. People who actually buy and wear Gucci products do not
wear T shirts with GUCCI emblazoned across the front of them. They're worn by
those who want to attach themselves to the cachet but without paying the entry
fee.
A Hummer is not in this class - it is loud, brash, annoying and in the case of
the reduced format, consumer grade versions, rather pointless. It's Chav (UK),
CUB - cashed up Bogan (AU) and I'm sure there is a a pejorative murkin term for
people with lotsa cash and little taste.
Lycra? Just an announcement of a lifestyle choice but not a discreet one. If it
is worn because it's comfortable and practical, fine, but then - why doesn't it
come in plain'?  As I've said before, #2 son manages to commute 42km per day,
partly in hilly country, in work boots, shorts, singlet, back pack and hi-vis
vest. Loud Lycra is just a way of proclaiming that 'I'm doing this because I
want too, not because I'm too poor to afford a car!' Stylish would be dressing
like a 1940's Tour de France champion.

Andrew Fildes (Yeah, OK, I look lousy in Lycra and I own a Leica or two).
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com

Author/Publisher:
The SLR Compendium: