Re: [OM] Backlit Tulips

Subject: Re: [OM] Backlit Tulips
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 16:59:05 -0700
On 4/29/2014 2:14 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
Awww, cr**. You had to go make the bald statement.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/Backlit_Tulips.htm>
OK, OK, a wee little bit of clipping. But seriously, those tulips were
clip-me-red. What's a poor photographer to do? BTW, I would suggest
that backlit tulips are absolutely the most challenging to photograph
and keep from clipping flower there is. There is a purity of tone to
them that just pounds the poor RGB technology to death.

OK, a quick check found no such tulips. I've got some, somewhere, but my
key-wording intern position remains unfilled.

So these will have to do. <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=12473>

I think they qualify; the poppies were almost new-cle-are in the direct sun. On the first two, I show both direct out of ACR, but for a touch of FM, post downsizing, and also brightened up with LCE and Curves.

BUT, BUT, no clipped red channel, even after sharpening.

The other three have had heaven knows done to them. And, if you Select Highlights, and look at that histogram, you will find a few R=255 pixels. But look closer, and you will find that they aren't red pixels, but white/specular reflection pixels. I had to toss in some through-lit yellow, too. :-)

SO, it can be done! AND without looking all flat and lacking glow.

As Joel has pointed out, one may not want to. But it ain't that the tech can't
do it. I'll bet even the L1 can.

Before I uploaded the image, I did see that the histogram was a little
happy on the right side, but figured that it was tiny enough that it
wouldn't matter.