Re: [OM] New Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:27:26 -0400
This is an intriguing and very hard question. The Sony has lots of stuff going for it. Its viewfinder is probably the equivalent of the E-M1 and it has lots of pixels (maybe too many). Although it says Sony I suspect that the old Konica/Minolta guys had much more to do with this camera than the the likes of the NEX cameras. I think that's a good thing to have a real camera designer working the design rather than some young EE from the audio department whose camera is a cell phone.

But the Minolta AF mount brings both good and bad. That mount has been around a long time and there are probably a fair amount of used AF lenses available (keeping in mind the 1.5X crop factor though). On the other hand, although the register distance of OM lenses is 1.5mm longer than Minolta AF it is apparently not possible to design an adapter sans transfer lens. All that you find on ebay have lenses to get to infinity so your OM Zuikos are not generally usable as they would be on an m.4/3 camera.

My other concern about this camera (probably all in this price range) it the lack of a second (rear) control wheel. But if you think the camera is fully usable for you then ignore that part.

As to the noise problem I checked the DPReview noise comparator and see exactly what you mean. It's definitely noisier than an E-M5 or E-M1 in JPEG or RAW. I don't know for sure but I believe the noisiness will also be found in long exposures even at low ISO.

But there may be ways around that. I note that the camera has multiple image sizes available (24MP, 12MP, 6MP and more). A question in my mind is whether these smaller image sizes are available in RAW mode as well as JPEG. If they are it may mean that multiple sensor pixels contribute to the output of the smaller images and may help reduce the noise problem. I would start with downloading the user's manual from Sony. That will tell you if RAW files are available at lower resolutions but not necessarily if they are quieter than their full size brethren. I really don't know how to answer that one other than experiment or just asking Sony tech support.

Also, although I don't know how it's done, there are techniques used in deep-sky astro photography of combining several short exposure digital images to get the equivalent of one image at long exposure. I don't know if that would work for your own long exposure needs but you might want to chase that down... and tell me about it afterwards as I'd like to know about it myself. :-)

Good luck, hard decision yet to come
Chuck Norcutt