Re: [OM] Kodak business practices

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak business practices
From: bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 02:06:00 +1200

Moose asked;

On 4/28/2014 3:56 PM, bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

have been reviewing Kodak Easyshare cameras being sold on Trademe in NZ,
and have bought one for Maggie's grand-daughter for her 11th birthday
(yesterday).

It seems to me that they have adopted Henry Ford's
business practice, without noticing that, unlike Henry Ford, they have
LOTS of competition.

The Kodak to which you refer no longer exists. I
think failing as a business is punishment enough for their failings.

So how does this apply to Kodak, and Easy-share cameras?

<snip
litany of complaints>
And some models have lousy image-making
ability. I
found it essential to check DP-Review etc before making a bid.

The
question at hand would appear to me to be - Why were you looking at and
buying one of these cameras? You obviously know they are largely crap.
There are so many better options in used digicams, also very
inexpensive.

//////////////////////

Because the 11 year-old is
notorious for trashing her gifts. Easy come, easy go, seems to be her
modux operandus..

These cameras are not all too bad, and now that I
have it, the images will be good enough for her needs. I had to
additionally pay as much as the camera cost to buy a pair of
rechargeable NiH batteries (correct voltage) and charger, as normal Ever
Ready batteries were too low a voltage..

The marker may be different
here from where you are. I don;t know enough about alternative camera
makes/models. This one will do the job. I also have a FujiFilm FinePix
10.2 megapix J27 with a Fujinonf=5.7 - 17.1 mm 1:2.9 - 5.2 lens which
cost 4 times as much. I bought it when experiencing a brain fart,
thinking it could provide useful images when I was caught without a real
camera - but, no. Not so.

If she, hope beyond hope, actually pays
attention to some instruction, and also doesn't trash the camera by -
e.g. leaving it out in the rain, or whatever, I might progress her gifts
to something better. But for now this will do. This kid is thoroughly
spoiled and anything I might give her might well be treated as yet
another piece of bling.

 Brian