Re: [OM] New Camera - Sony digital noise processing for long exposures +

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera - Sony digital noise processing for long exposures + camera/lens rental
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 10:15:48 -0400
Then what's the difference between a bias frame and a dark frame?

Chuck Norcutt

On 5/1/2014 9:56 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
I have no idea what "bias" and "flat" frames are but assume that I do know
>what a "dark" frame is.  I assume that a dark frame is an "exposure" taken
>with the shutter closed or sensor otherwise blocked from light.  It's to be
>taken at the same exposure time as other shots where you want to subtract
>digital noise from a long exposure.

It's explained in the FAQ - link is in the pane on the left hand side.
  Flat frames compensate for unevenness of response across the sensor, bias
frames compensate for the small spurious signal which you still get from
reading a completely unexposed sensor.

Ian