Re: [OM] New Camera - Sony digital noise processing for long exposures +

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera - Sony digital noise processing for long exposures + camera/lens rental
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 12:19:46 -0400
Thanks.  I'll have to do some more study.

Chuck Norcutt

On 5/1/2014 10:56 AM, Ian Nichols wrote:
On 1 May 2014 15:15, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Then what's the difference between a bias frame and a dark frame?

As I understand it from the FAQ, a bias frame is recorded at the shortest
available exposure time, so that only the electrical bias of the reading
process is recorded.  A dark frame is recorded for the same time as the
light frame, so the accumulated electrical noise during the exposure is the
same.  Quite why the two are needed separately (since the dark frames must
include the information in the bias frames) is not clear to me from my
cursory reading of the thing, but that's what they mean.

Ian