Re: [OM] New Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 13:02:48 -0700
On 4/30/2014 4:48 PM, Willie Wonka via olympus wrote:
I think I am just about to hit the "Buy" button and get myself a replacement
for the A200 I love so much. More on camera trades and choices below, now the important
part:

This is a dealbreaker for me. The reviews point out the fact that the noise
above ISO 800 is above average. My question is: What if I were using lower
ISO's? Please, keep in mind that I am concerned with one case only-long
exposure.

If long exposure shots are that important, take a closer look at the E-M10. It has the usual Oly Live Bulb and Live Time (press once to start, once to stop) modes, which may go out to 30 minutes and may display progress on the LCD (but that option generates heat/noise.) It also has long exposure noise reduction, which takes a dark frame and subtracts noise.

AND!!

"New to the E-M10 is a Live Composite mode that assembles a number of long exposure images into one composite image, while showing progress in real time on the camera's LCD." <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m10/10>

This looks like the cat's meow for long exposure folks, up to three hours. See the manual, pp 42-43. <http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M10_MANUAL_ENGLISH.PDF>

To paraphrase my question: Does it mean that noisy sensor at high ISO's would
produce noisy long exposure pictures at low ISO's?

Not necessarily, but practically, yes.

Here is on the camera choice:

I have been doing trades for the last few weeks and everything boiled down to
three manufacturers: Fuji, Olympus and Sony. My SFO and boss in life, gave me a
budget of around $800, give or take $100. I can buy a lot of Fuji, but I wont,
because the cheapest telephoto will cost me $450. Then there were two choices
left: Olympus EM-10 and the Sony A65. Yes, I know the animosity on this list
towards Sony, especially after Nathan's tirade about his TV connectivity issue.

To me, the most important feature in a camera is live view.

IF that's true, and an EVF isn't important, an E-PL5 will do everything but the Live Composite. Oly is selling it, with 14-42 and 40-150 (28-300 eq.), with a WiFi card for $500 through Saturday. <http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digitalcameras/pen/e-pl5.html?utm_content=imgmn&utm_campaign=epl5_lenscard_mr&utm_source=email_etprm&utm_medium=email>

I personally prefer the all-in-one 14-150, but that's more money.

Sony is still light years before anybody else. Olympus does it very well in the
mirrorless cameras, Nikon and Canon - just pathetic.

I can have the Sony with two lenses of Olympus compatible quality, covering the
27-300mm range for about $650. I can have the EM-10 with a single lens covering
28-84mm for about $790. A coworker of mine (who has four of my OM lenses) would
let me borrow his micro four third lenses any time I want. Problem is, I do not
feel like spending more money later

And yet, with µ4/3, if you do what to do something else in the future, the
range of lenses is very broad.

Oly Moose