Re: [OM] New Camera

Subject: Re: [OM] New Camera
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 17:31:06 -0500
Snark E. Moose wrote:
> You, of course, have no problem, other than the reverse - inability to buy
> any new camera. ;-)

I'm hoping to encourage others to save their dimes and not keep
chasing the "new shiny" digital camera. ;)  However, I have no qualms
in saying that I'm pretty current with my 13MP digital camera that's
built into the Samsung Note 3.

On a related note, I shot a bunch-o-pictures at this big annual
shindig. (support role as they have a staff photographer now).  Did
the pictures with the DMC-L1 with Eye-Fi card. I would shoot, select
the "keepers" right on the fly, which automatically transferred to the
Note 3 and then had that uploading the pictures directly to the
clients. Throughout the event, my pictures were going up almost live.
I'm 100% done. Once the pictures left the camera and phone, they were
in the clients' hands. No further anything from my part. No memory
card dumps, no CDROM burns, no uploading to websites, nothing. Just
click the protect on the image in-camera and go back to shooting. I
shot a bunch of pictures for several individuals too. Those images,
instead of going to the upload feed, got emailed instead. Again,
directly from the phone. When the camera got returned to the camera
bag, I knew that my work was totally completed. I wish I could have
done it this way for the past fifteen years.

If truth be told, the Eye-Fi card is why I sold the E-1.

Back to the point about the inability to buy any new camera, I look at
cameras with the long-term relationship in mind. It's a filter that I
apply during the pre-purchase process. Is this a camera that I'm
wanting for a long time? Or is this camera a "good enough for now"
camera? The DMC-L1 fits the long-term model, in spite of the oddities
and weaknesses. What it does well, it does so extremely well. Like
in-camera B&W. It does it very well. From the perspective of "good
enough for now", I still see my DMC-L1 as "good enough for now", so I
see no compelling reason to buy another "good enough for now" camera
that replaces a perfectly good "good enough for now" camera. On a side
note, the DMC-L1 has an almost non-existent AA filter, so it is able
to match the effective imaging resolution of sensors with many more
pixels.

In the world of Olympus Digital cameras, I saw the E-M5 as a "good
enough for now" camera, but the E-M1 as a "long-term relationship"
camera. The E-P5 is somewhere between the two. The Sony A7R is
somewhere in between. I like that camera, but find that it lacks some
refinement and makes my back itch in that one place you just can't
scratch. The best "good enough for now" camera is, without a doubt,
the Fujifilm XE2.

Can you see why I have the inability to buy? First of all, my
photography has to be a cash-and-carry thing. No charging it.
Secondly, I have two teenage daughters. Need I say more?

I was actually going to buy a new camera in September. I had money
stashed away and everything. But we had a super major crisis which
changed everything and I ended up terminating my contract six months
early, moving back to Iowa, and my camera money went to buy security
cameras instead. In the world of priorities, a new digital camera
doesn't mean squat. (note: security systems and cameras are much more
effective when the bad guys know they are there).

I don't feel too neglected, though. I got a BMW.

AG Snarkless Schnozz

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx