Re: [OM] Scanning Tri-X

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Tri-X
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 17:39:52 -0500
> The 4000 dpi scan is shown at 50%, 2000 dpi picture at 100%, so the image
> magnification is equal.  Note that the 2000 dpi scan appears to have a bit
> coarser grain due to aliasing.  But remember, this is with the negs
> magnified quite a bit.  If I view the whole frame at a reasonable screen
> size, the difference hardly matters. In fact, some available light pictures
> might appear slightly sharper at 2000 dpi due to slight added texture.

>From the perspective of image detail, I find little advantage to 4000
dpi over 2000 dpi with most films, but the big difference comes in
with the grain. The higher resolution scans help make the grain a bit
less in-yo-face.

My best B&W digitizing efforts, though, are when I make a quick 5x7
work print in the darkroom on the cheepest RC-Glossy paper I can find
and then flatbed scan it. Zero grain.

Multi-scanning negatives does help reduce the grain effect a bit on
the negs as it averages out the influences a bit, but the
multi-exposure setting doesn't help any.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx