Re: [OM] IMG: Sunset, II

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Sunset, II
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 19:34:48 -0500
> May I agree - and disagree? I've just looked at this one, and for me,
> there's a middle ground, with enough grain to be interesting, but not this
> much.

This is likely more an issue of the display of a reduced image. The
downsampling tends to make the grain more sandy.

> Agreed. Looking at the noise by frequency, there's more than just grain
> aliasing going on here. That's where it starts, but other processing has
> done bad things to it.

USM sharpening is really a horrible thing for grain. On the original
4000dpi file, if you apply a 2-4 pixel USM sharpening, it will cause
the grain to take on a life of its own and could be featured on an
episode of the X-Files or "Outer Limits".

> I think if the grain were dealt with first, with different scan dpi and/or
> NR - THEN the rest of the processing applied, the result would be much
> nicer. That doesn't necessarily mean no or very low grain, but more natural
> size grain and no halos, etc. around it.

I don't think I've ever found a hard and fast rule for film scans. It
depends on usage (display or print) and display size. For example, I
don't sharpen images prior to downsampling and will even use a slight
blur to avoid aliasing artifacts. It also varies so much based on the
type of film.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx