Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul's PAW - Train stuff, a people, and a puppy
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 18:35:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>The best example of a helix railroad track I have seen are the spiral
>tunnels on the CP Rail track between Field in British Columbia and Lake
>Louise in Alberta.  Trains with upwards of 10 locos can be seen exiting
>a tunnel going in one direction with wagons going into a tunnel 50 or
>perhaps 100 feet above or below in diametrically the opposite
>direction.  There are several helix tunnels in the complex and are
>readily visible from the nearly Trans Canada Highway.  Somewhere I have
>photos taken several years ago.

     I recall that many years ago the French and Italians were embarking on a
project to build a new spiral tunnel in the Alps between Lyon and Torino, so
that the TGV and Eurostar 400/500 could travel that route at higher speed than
the tunnels existing at that time would allow.  I have not bothered to keep
track (no pun intended) of any news regarding that project, but it should be
near completion by now.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson