Re: [OM] Oldstoremore

Subject: Re: [OM] Oldstoremore
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 13:38:36 -0700
...good stand in for the real thing up at Sandwood Bay
Wife's knees aren't up to it otherwise I'd have done it in a second. Faraid Head was a very acceptable substitute. Also interesting to learn of the John Lennon connection.
KLB Hotel - I should have warned you.
No problem. But the only obvious eats. We didn't stay there. Two decent if plain B&B's with very friendly proprietors. Drove up from I without reservations only to belatedly discover that it is a bank holiday.
Maniac drivers?
Well, only partially kidding being turnips and all. At first i thought the round 40 signs meant KPH. Nope. Not MPH either. Apparently totally ignored. At home I drive our narrow rural roads at 50+/- mph and continue to do the same pulling over for the many overtakers. Part of the problem was being totally ignorant of the lane layout in Inverness. Thank you to the person who painted the big white A9 on the correct lane. We managed to sail right through.
Sure you weren't driving a UK 4 cylinder or even a diesel version?  Did
you correctly account for imperial gallons or liter conversions?
Both have been diesels. The Volvo is 2.4L. Computer is showing high 30's ?? but we are keeping track. Not enough data yet.
  it was the wee single tracks that won my heart and cause it to ache for a
return.
ditto. The route out from Lairg via Loch Shin was drop-dead gorgeous in perfect weather. The loop out to Lochinver was white-knuckle in a few spots. One particular spot where you couldn't see the road over the ...er... bonnet. Just trusting it didn't decide to take a zig right there.
I really like Ullapool
We do too. Perhaps the similarity to our own small town, Same size, similar weather, port, ferries, tourists, fishing, tourists... Has the retirement crowd or work-from-home'ers found Ullapool yet? Don't see any McMansions tucked into the trees since there aren't any to tuck into. Point to Ullapool.
Hum. I was not impressed with my wifi experience, and..
Perhaps coming from no cell service and little wifi has coloured (sic, right??) my perceptions ;)

Mike
catching the ferry in the morning