[OM] IMGs: Cycling Route - Part 1

Subject: [OM] IMGs: Cycling Route - Part 1
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 19:50:16 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     More than a week ago, Nathan aske if I would post some photos from my
daily cycling route.  The route I take most often is 18 miles long, passking
through a number of neighbourhoods and along paved canal bank paths.  I'm going
to do this in parts as it takes almost an hour to upload six photos into Flickr.

     These first six photos start from home and end at a footbridge that passes
over a freeway.  Shortly after leaving home, I pass behind the bleachers at the
local high school:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114518914/

     The neighbourhoods around here were mostly built from the mid 1960s to mid
1970s, bult on what used to be extensive citrus orchards.  After all that time
the streets have taken on a fairly mature atmosphere, such as this one lined
with a variety of trees:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114519224/

     The vast majority of homes are landscaped with trees, shrubs, etc. that
are not native to this area, some not even to this continent.  Some, however,
have broken away from that form, such as this one that has a number of native
trees (the Palo Verde are in full bloom) together with a few small non-natives:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114519404/

     Down the street and around the corner there is the northern approach to
the footbridge, which sweeps along the southeast corner of a small city park.
Since the terrain here is essentially flat as a pancake, these bridges give me
an opportunity to exercise the lower gears on the bikes when going up and check
the quality of the brakes when going down:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114519424/

     This is the second bridge to be at this spot, the first one being removed
when the freeway was widened about ten years ago.  The first one was fairly
utilitarian, but this second one has a bit of an artistic flaire:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114519434/

     The rolling structure along the top is called "The Wave".  It serves no
other purpose than to dress the structure up a bit.  The south end of the
bridge enters into another city park, this one being the smallest within the
city:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64004640@N03/14114519744/

     The hairpin turn halfway along this ramp makes for a very tight turn with
a full size road bike.

     I'll have more photos of this route later.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson