[OM] Kentucky Derby and horses, was: Chapman Ranch

Subject: [OM] Kentucky Derby and horses, was: Chapman Ranch
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 19:52:21 -0400
This reminded me that my ignorance of such things extended to horses and horse racing as well. After watching the 2 minutes of the Kentucky Derby the other night I wondered if both colts and fillies were running in the race. I was surprised to find that not only did fillies run the race but geldings as well. That led to wondering if fillies were the equal of colts at 3 years of age which led to me discovering weight handicapping in horse races which places weights in the saddlery to even up the odds. Yes, fillies are not required to carry as much weight as the colts or geldings but the difference is only 5 pounds (126 vs 121)... but geldings are still considered the physical equal of colts at age 3. The colts are not yet sexually mature and not yet called stallions.

All that intro material brings me to the main point, a comparison of the dangers of bulls with the dangers of stallions. In checking up on stallions I learned that one must be specially trained to ride and handle a stallion (and this was the big surprise) stallions are not allowed to be ridden in parades... too dangerous for the crowd. I'd never thought about it before but I guess you wouldn't lead a bull through a crowd either even if he did have a ring in his nose.

Ain't the web and this list wonderful?

Chuck Norcutt