Re: [OM] IMG: Listening

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Listening
From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 14:42:01 -0700
Thanks, for the feedback, all. Bob, I don't think harsh bokeh is so much a Leica thing as a modern lens design thing, or an aspherical thing, or both. This has been discussed to death on the 'Net, but generally speaking, "they" say that good bokeh is the result of some uncorrected spherical aberration. So some of the modern designs that are highly corrected and highly praised for sharpness are also blamed for bad bokeh. It does appear that you *can* design a modern aspherical lens that has good bokeh, because the current Leica 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH has it. But that lens costs a gazillion dollers and is rumored to be made of unobtanium.

The lens for the photo is a Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton (the older Leica thread-mount version from the early 2000s). It is notorious for hard-edged bokeh, but I've found that it does it mostly with things that are quite a bit farther away from the subject, when the subject is close.

The carafe doesn't particularly bother me, though I'd be happier if it weren't there. I didn't have time to remove it, which would have distracted the subject anyway. One disadvantage to photographing your friends is that if you start jumping on the table and rearranging things, or sitting on people's laps, you might not get invited back. :-)

--Peter

re: <https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/14102323336/in/photostream/>