Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Spring

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Finally, Spring
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 09:05:17 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>>      I'm curious as to the make and model of car in the two DNT LAF
>> photos.  It's not an early Fiat 500.
>>

>BMW Isetta.  One of several microcars to emerge from postwar Germany to
>exploit the sudden increase in fuel prices in Europe due to the Suez crisis
>of the late 50s.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta
>
>As a child in the mid 60s, I was fascinated by these "bubble cars" as we
>called them.

     I'm still interested in them, as well as the 3-wheel and 2-wheel (yes, two
wheels such as the Ford Gyron) cars.  My cousin in Britain had one of those
bubble cars (a BMW Isetta) where the entire front was the door with the
steering wheel mounted on it.  It was destroyed when a truck backed up on top
of it.  I recently saw one of those with the two handles on the front (BMW
Isetta 600?) in a Peter Sellers movie, though I cannot remember which one.
Perhaps it was "I'm All Right Jack" with Terry Thomas.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson