Re: [OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via f

Subject: Re: [OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via firmware update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 21:22:30 -0700
Most have likely spotted this:

http://tinyurl.com/mrqvese

Shutter shock (SS) was quite pronounced with that cam. EFC enabled with EM-1 first via firmware update and now the EP-5 as long as shutter speed under the sync speed .
A cursory review of images shows it is a major improvement with no meaningful
change in shutter responsiveness.
Kudos to Oly on that one.

Well .... They have been aware of the problem since the start of µ4/3. So they get kudos for the original SS 1/8 sec. fix, esp. considering that Panny did nothing until recent bodies with EFC/ES.

But why didn't this idea surface in the E-M1 and E-P5 before? Well, perhaps some engineer had an epiphany as to how to do something that couldn't be done. I suppose it's probably only applicable to the different, PD sensor in the M1 and P5. Too bad, as it would change my relationship with M5 and PM2.

DPR was very slow to recognize the proper issue and faint praise for an
excellent correction.

I think their review revisions are pretty good.

Sony has not even admitted the well documented SS (much less provide a firmware correction) in the A7r depsite the EFC option in the A7.

EP-5 SS put it out of the horse cam running but may have been the choice if
this EFC option were accomplished sooner.

It's a pretty large, heavy camera, for a Pen. It's neither fish nor fowl for this Moose. I'm very happy using LCD alone for casual use, but I want the trade-off of small and light.

When really in photog mode, I use and appreciate (E)VF for most shots, and would go for that at least a little over size/weight. The published dimensions of the GX7 make is seem larger than the E-P5, but that's the rear protruding EVF and (nicely) larger front grip. From lens mount to back, they are the same size, height and width are essentially the same and the Panny is a tiny bit lighter. Put an add-on VF-x on it and price, size, weight and awkward factor all go way up. So I don't see where the E-P5 fits in.

Fishy Foul Moose