Re: [OM] What E-system lens is indispensable for a micro 4/3 shooter?

Subject: Re: [OM] What E-system lens is indispensable for a micro 4/3 shooter?
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 13:27:49 +0000
Chuck:
There has been quite a lot of discussion about the EM-1's ability to quickly
focus 4/3 lenses with its on-sensor phase detect.  There are a number of posts
on both the following:
http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php  and http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/.  You might
want to go through some of them.

>From what I have seen the results are variable and native m4/3 lenses still
>focus faster and more reliably.  Probably the 4/3 lens of most interest is the
>50-200 +/- the 1.4 TC. This lens fills a missing niche in the m4/3 line up, is
>quite fast and has very good IQ, even with the TC. It's also relatively cheap
>used ($500 or so for the non-SWD versions).  The other lenses that are
>discussed most often are the 12-60 and the 14-54, which seem to have been
>popular choices for 4/3 users at the time.

In terms of going wide, one potentially easy option is to stitch together a
couple of shots to get the extra width (digital, rather than film, thinking).
While this may not always work, if you're using a tripod or simply taking your
time composing the shot, it seems like a cost effective approach.

My widest Oly m4/3 lens is the 12-50mm.  It's not quite the 21mm I liked using
on the OMs, but it does.  Because of a recent sale, I've just bought a 7.5mm FE
(Bower) so I do have an even wider option now.  Although MF, it seems to have
excellent optics.

Martin