Re: [OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via f

Subject: Re: [OM] A major issue with EP-5 largely corrected with EFC option via firmware update
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 15:48:47 -0700
Fishy Foul Moose writes:

It's a pretty large, heavy camera, for a Pen. It's neither fish norfowl for this Moose. I'm very happy using LCD alone for casual use, but I want the trade-off of small and light.
When really in photog mode, I use and appreciate (E)VF for most shots, and would go for that at least a little over size/weight. The published dimensions of the GX7 make is seem larger than the E-P5, but that's the rear protruding EVF and (nicely) larger front grip. >>From lens mount to back, they are the same size, height and width are essentially the same and the Panny is a tiny bit lighter. Put an add-on VF-x on it and price, size, weight and awkward factor all go way up. So I don't see where the E-P5 fits in.

I totally agree to a point.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#472,459

Looking at the side views the EP-5 is MUCH thinner but as you say the EVF has
at some to do with that. (54.6mm vs 37.2).

Take a look at the top view and use a transparent ruler to measure actual body thickness, from mount to back. They are the same, within the accuracy of the pictures. Yes, the EVF sticks out in back and the hand grip is deeper on the front (a good thing), but the actual bodies are the same size.

The EP-5 is still not very big as cams go.

Size is relative. I'd been using an E-PM2 in tandem with E-M5 and now use the GM1 a fair amount. The E-P5 is big, comparatively. but my point was really that the E-P5 is in the E-M5/GX7 size/weight range, not that of the smaller Pens and the GM1.

and the 5 axis IBIS is a killer feature in my view.

Yeah, yeah, I've thought so. Certainly I like the idea of rotational correction for my tendency to push down the right when I release the shutter quickly. And yet, where is the proof in tests/images, as Chuck would ask?

The one test with long lens I've seen shows the Panny IBIS to be superior. You are a more through researcher than I, so you may know more.

I can't say I've noticed any bad IS mojo with the GX7, with over 750 shots under its belt. And I've done a fair amount of pixel peeping. OTOH, I've mostly used it wearing the 12-50 in tandem with E-M5 wearing 75-300 for those shots where I'm looking at pixels. In a few shots at 300 mm, it's done perfectly, as far as I can see.

So yeah, it may be the killer feature, but I'm not quite sure. How much significant performance feature and how much selling feature? I'll tell you one thing, the E-M5 battery is larger than the GX7, but has significantly less life, which may be mostly down to the IS differences.

The add on EVF is excellent but rather bulky.

Us folks is all different - I know I would hate it.

... Now that the minnow GM-1 is in the net, not sure if should feel regret or
or not.  I will miss an EVF for sure.

I don't consider the GM1 as competitive with the larger bodies, but with the various compact cameras I've used for years, including G11 and S100. They are what it's knocked out of my regular use, not the larger models with EVF.

Cameras For Courses Moose