Re: [OM] Bluebird

Subject: Re: [OM] Bluebird
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 18:21:04 -0500
No apologies needed, Joel.  Nice framing, nice focus, and great color!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

On 5/16/2014 3:51 PM, DZDub wrote:
We have a fruitless mulberry tree between our house and the river with bird
feeders on the deck.  The tree is very slow to leaf out in the spring and
is a nice staging area for the birds to hit the feeders and then get away.
I've been enjoying get some shots of finches and chickadees as the roost on
the branches, mostly with the DZ 50-200, and often that with the 1.4 TC.

We have a bluebird in the area.  He seems to use the tree to scope out
something he likes to eat on the ground.  He dive-bombs to the ground and
then goes back up to another spot in the tree.

There are two shots on this page:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/

The second is not as "classic" a pose, but it shows the bird about to
launch himself to the ground.  Both are cropped at about what looks like
33% pixels on the screen.

I find it very hard to focus on this guy.  He's so soft and puffy, the AF
seems to want to grab onto a branch just a bit before him or just a bit
beyond.  Even at f8 and f11 DOF is pretty shallow with the lens fully
racked out.  I've never found the lens to focus as well as I would like at
the long end, or maybe it's just a bit soft at the long end, which is how
those lenses tend to be.  It is
what it is.

Joel W.