[OM] for those who visited the west of Scotland recently

Subject: [OM] for those who visited the west of Scotland recently
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 20:57:42 -0300
Watch here:
*
**http://tinyurl.com/37uogsh*

[family friendly]

jh

ps: he took a very indirect route ...... one of the places he visits I know very well indeed.

On 5/19/2014 6:05 PM, Frank wrote:
The announced 300mm will be F 4. Which makes sense as you can buy an e-m1
with mmf-3 and use the FT 300mm F 2.8. You'll need serious cash there.

I think a 14-150mm is a fine walk around holiday lens. My wife and son have
one, I briefly used in on an e-m5 and was quite satisfied. My walk around
holiday lens though is the 9-18mm, and in the evenings the 20mm.

If you buy one, you can later upgrade to the 40-150mm 2.8 which is probably
a fine performer. They might even bring out a 1,4x converter for it?

The 75-300mm tested better then the 100-300mm, and is less heavy. Both are
relatively weak on the long end, but hey, we're talking 600mm equivalent
here. You'll need a tripod to make the most out of that.

Let us know what you decide on, and better show the results!

Best, Frank.

Hello all,

I've shot Nikon crop sensor cameras for years (most recently D7000), but
recently got an OMD-EM10.
In preparation for a June vacation I want to get a telephoto. My priorities
in order (more or less) are long, fast, sharp, fast focus, economical,
small,
Olympus is coming out with their pro level 300 mm  f2.8 zoom later this
year, which seems like a dream lens (if I can afford it). But it's not a
current option.
Currently, I can get a 14-150 f4-5.6 (not cheap and not fast, but good
value), or
Olympus 40-150 - slow, medium long, great price - or
Olympus 75-300 f4.8-6.7 - pretty darn long but slow at shorter focal
lengths
But there are also non-olympus options
Panasonic 100-300 f4-5.6 - faster than the similar Olympus 75-300
Panasonic  45-200  f4-5.6 - longer and faster than the Olympu 40-150

With the Panasonic options I would be buying an extra AF motor in the lens
that I don't need, but AFAICS from the reviews, the Panasonic lenses would
perform well (e.g. still have good AF speed) on my Olympus body.

What are people's thoughts on this? I'm thinking it might not be worth
spending too much money on a telephoto if I've got their pro telephoto in
my future. On the other hand, there's a good chance I won't be able to
afford it anyway.

Thanks!

Frank