Re: [OM] Fast telephoto for OMD-EM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast telephoto for OMD-EM10
From: Frank Kurzawa <frank@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 22:57:57 -0500
That's an outstanding idea, Chuck. I had not realized how cheap a manual
adapter would be. No matter what else I decide to do, I'll pick up one of
these to use with my Nikon 80-200m f2.8. A 400 mm f5.6 will be nice even w/
MF. It will be a new experience doing this with an EVF.

Cheers,
Frank K.

-------------------------------------

From: Chuck Norcutt (chucknorcuttchucknorcutt.com)Date: Mon, 19 May 2014
13:09:06 -0700 (PDT)
How about adapting a Nikon or Olympus OM lens to the E-M10 assuming you already
own one? You'd have to use the lens in MF mode but m.4/3 makes it easy to
do so. You can use the lens in stop-down mode and the EVF will brighten or
darken itself to conform to the exposure parameters set on the camera... a
sort of visual exposure meter with focusing and metering at the shooting
aperture. You can also magnify the image to check focusing.

Best used in slow moving tripod mode (especially at 600mm equivalent) but
hand holding is possible with IS (you tell the camera the focal length of
the lens installed as it doesn't know otherwise)... or at least I think
these capabilities are on the E-M10...they are on the E-M5 and E-M1.

If you already have a lens that can be adapted the adapter will likely cost
you less than $15. It's a cheap experiment even if you decide not to go
that way in the end. Alternatively, it gives you a cheap out as an interim
solution until the real thing comes along (at your price range) Here's the
Nikon adapter <
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-is-New-Nikon-AI-F-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-M4-3-Olympus-EPM1-E-PL3-EP2-Adapter-Ring-/400325231865?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item5d353e44f9
> An OM adapter (and many others) can be found at the same place for a similar
price.

Another solution is to rent what's currently available for the duration of
your vacation. You can check out one of more of them and be assured that
you'll like it if you do buy. Here are the m.4/3 offerings from LenRentals.com
<http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/micro-four-thirds/lenses>

Chuck Norcutt