Re: [OM] Fast telephoto for OMD-EM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast telephoto for OMD-EM10
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 21:50:14 -0700
On 5/19/2014 11:34 AM, Frank Kurzawa wrote:
Hello all,

I've shot Nikon crop sensor cameras for years (most recently D7000), but
recently got an OMD-EM10.
In preparation for a June vacation I want to get a telephoto. My priorities
in order (more or less) are long, fast, sharp, fast focus, economical,
small,
Olympus is coming out with their pro level 300 mm  f2.8 zoom later this
year, which seems like a dream lens (if I can afford it). But it's not a
current option.
Currently, I can get a 14-150 f4-5.6 (not cheap and not fast, but good
value), or
Olympus 40-150 - slow, medium long, great price - or
Olympus 75-300 f4.8-6.7 - pretty darn long but slow at shorter focal lengths
But there are also non-olympus options
Panasonic 100-300 f4-5.6 - faster than the similar Olympus 75-300
Panasonic  45-200  f4-5.6 - longer and faster than the Olympu 40-150

As Frank W. has mentioned, the 14-150 is also a fine lens, not just a compromise for long focal range. I don't think either of those Panny's are quite as good as the Oly 75-300. No personal experience with those particular Panny's so just review reading.

I would like to comment on speed, though. A 300/4 lens can't be very small or light. Lighter materials can be used, but it can't be smaller than the OM 300/4.5, which is a lens quite out of proportion for a µ4/3 camera.

A 600 mm eq lens has very shallow DOF. A lot of "all at infinity" subject stuff suddenly isn't. When shooting something miles away, it may not matter much. Then again, it may. This shot, @ 960 mm eq., is from about eight miles, and it's clear that the foreground trees and most distant rocks are slightly softer that the main subject.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Yosemite/Yosemite_2011/Yosemite_Valley&image=_MG_0382oof80m.jpg>
The fern images illustrate. These are really large ferns, those heads are already a few feet off the ground. I don't really recall clearly, but I'd guess I'm shooting at 12 ft. or more, not near close focus. (Why don't my cameras include focal distance in the metadata??)

As you can see, even at f9, the DOF is very shallow, no more than perhaps an inch or so before things start getting soft. Imagine shooting these at f4. I can only get the whole head in focus with simple focus stacking. (Yeah, I know, you can't do that with even slightly moving subjects, let alone hand held.)

The ferns are in complete shade, I wanted some DOF and a shutter speed with hope of stopping the slight waving, so they are shot at ISO 3200, the auto ISO limit I has set, as a quick cheat, to about 6400 with -1 EV. And here's where things change from film and early digital days. With proper NR, the high ISO has not adversely affected the image for web and moderate print sizes.

I well remember the days of carrying around a Tamron 80-200/2.8, the Oly 300/4.5 and a monster Tammy 150-500/5.6 - not altogether fondly. :-) I would never have got these bird shots with them.

So for me, one of the joys of µ4/3 is carrying around smaller, lighter gear with which I can accomplish things I couldn't with yesterday's heavy gear.

For me, the 75-300 is a far more useful, practical lens than a 300/4.