Re: [OM] Worms! [was Better late? [was DX 14-54 on MFT]]

Subject: Re: [OM] Worms! [was Better late? [was DX 14-54 on MFT]]
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 14:40:06 -0500
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Ken "Dr. Color" Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The only thing that I've found which will cause the worms (other than
> the maize pattern on some files caused by screwed up raw processors),
> is noise reduction. Some are worse than others, too. But, the point
> here is that if you take a RAW file and process it and with no further
> noise reduction applied, worms still appear, this is a sign that noise
> reduction is happening in-camera prior to the writing of the raw file
> to the memory card.

Did you really write "maize pattern"?  You can take the boy out of Michigan
but you can't take Michigan out of the boy.

But as we all know, nothing like that EVER happens. ;)

I noticed some "maize patterns" with the E-400 when I got my big ass 27"
monitor.  Got in-camera sharpening well-turned off but was still getting
them.

I tried Viewer 3 and no more "maize patterns".  So it had to be ACR.  Come
to find the converter automatically applies some sharpening if you don't go
into the noise and sharpening dialogue and turn sharpening clear off.
Every time I have to do that.  It would be extremely annoying, but I like
the way ACR handles NR, so I tend to go there anyway.

> BTW, I've never encountered this problem with an E-1 raw file.

It appears that your E-1 was from the non-wolverine production run.

Joel (maize loco) W.