Re: [OM] Spare 43 body cap?

Subject: Re: [OM] Spare 43 body cap?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 13:35:01 -0500
> OK, now I remember.  But telecentricity seems to have gone the way of the
> dodo bird.

The shifted microlenses over the sensors have been the game changer
for m43. That, and the AA filter itself. The role of the AA filter, in
regards to vignetting, cannot be understated.

Going back to the lowly E-1, the microlenses evidently did not have an
offset. I'm going to guess that this is actually a good thing. The
E-1, as a result, performed admirably with the 35/shift lens for
multi-frame panos using shift. You'd get some vignetting with the lens
shifted hard over, but not as much as you'd expect.

The E-1 responded very well to certain legacy telephoto lenses that
had a distinct "telecentricity" to them. The 300/4.5 and 100/2.8 being
examples of lenses that would give you pixel-sharpness and would
defeat the AA filter and occasionally give you aliasing artifacts on
some patterns. Things that you'd never expect to see from that mush
box of a camera.

But, "telecentricity" was clearly a "marketing gimmick" for Olympus
and it flopped because every one of us that stuck a legacy lens on the
camera could clearly see that it was bunk as the old lenses performed
just as well as the new lenses.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx