Re: [OM] Not a good situation to be in....

Subject: Re: [OM] Not a good situation to be in....
From: Paul Laughlin <pelaughlin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 16:57:40 -0700
I don't know about bronc riders, as I don't follow them at all. Some Bull riders started wearing helmets 12 or 14 years ago and it has spread some. There are the hard heads that poopoo the helmets and claim that takes away from being a cowboy. And there are some of those that later wish they had worn one. FWIF, my son-in-law is an old bull rider and his great nephew, Wiley Peterson recently retired from the PBR. Wiley was having trouble staying on his bulls and someone told him he was worrying too much about his face and needed to wear a helmet. He tried it and started staying on more bulls. Wore one until he retired. And he won the PBR World Finals a couple of years before he retired. At a guess, I would say that around half of the bull riders wear helmets these days. In my book, there is such a thing as being tough, and another thing as being tough and foolish. Damage to the head can be very difficult to fix.
Paul in Portland OR