Re: [OM] OT 100 years of Leica cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] OT 100 years of Leica cameras
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:00:33 -0400
It wasn't landscapes, but I've shot a lot of documentary photos handheld at
1/2 sec or even 1 sec.  Just brace against something and you're fine!  At
the time I was shooting TMAX 3200 pushed to 6400 and using a Noctilux at
1.0.  It is really, really dark in those adobe houses!  Like most of these:

http://tinamanley.smugmug.com/Central-America/Honduras/Honduras/3917411_sWqp63#!i=1213150734&k=n398phZ

Tina

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 9:26 AM, DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think the images were as good as those by landscape photographers
> who were using tripods and exploiting hyperfocal distance for all it's
> worth, but it is not hard to take good landscape photos of many subjects at
> those speeds, considering the distances involved, even with an Olympus
> SLR.  Plus, this ilk of photographers prided themselves at being steady
> down to 1/15 and so forth.  Plus 2, Leica guys were all about that kind of
> stuff, which was my point.
>
> This guy claimed he could get off sharp 1/2 sec shots while bracing himself
> against a building.  It was like an ad for Leica.  And indirectly, he was
> saying, "Your SLR can't do that."  And he would have been right, and he
> still is.
>
> In any case, it was 30 years ago I found the book.  It was not small.  It
> was a coffee-table sized book.  I got it from the library.  Not much chance
> of finding it again, even if I wished to put the time into it.
>
> Joel W.
>

> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Chuck Norcutt <
> chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest you examine those images carefully.  I assume the book was
> > small.  Really sharp shots for large images are just not possible hand
> held
> > at 1/30 sec.  Also, hyperfocal distance for even a 28mm lens at f/2.8
> puts
> > minimum focus distance pretty far away.  You won't find near foreground
> > flowers in focus which means the nearest items in the scene are likely 15
> > feet or further (unless the image is kept small)
> >
> > Chuck Norcutt
> >
> > On 5/25/2014 2:15 PM, DZDub wrote:
> >
> >> Chris,
> >> You and Moose must have been snorting the same stuff.
> >>
> >> I once saw an interesting book of landscape photography by a Brit and
> >> noted
> >> that most of the shots were made around 1/30 sec at f2.8.  He was
> >> hand-holding a Leica loaded with KM.  At that time I was a full-bore f64
> >> kind of guy and lugged a Bogen everywhere.  It did shake me up a little,
> >> as
> >> his photographs were beautiful.  I've split the difference and shoot at
> >> f7.1 a lot more. :)
> >>
> >> Joel W.
> >>

> --

Tina Manley